Cheng Xiangzhan is a Professor of Chinese Aesthetics, School of Literature and Journalism, Shandong University, China. He received his Ph.D. in Literature from Shandong University in 1995. His publications include The Aesthetics of Triangle of Literary Heart (文心三角): the Modern Transformation of Ancient Chinese Theory of Literary Heart, The Study of Ancient Chinese Narrative Poetry, A Modern Perspective on the Core Questions in Aesthetics of Literature and Art, and An Anthology of T’ang Poetry. During his stay at the Harvard-Yenching Institute, he worked on a project entitled “the Chinese Conception of Fecundity of Life (sheng-sheng, 生生) in the Axial Age and the Construction of Contemporary Eco-Aesthetics.”
Professor Cheng's current fields of research include the history of Chinese aesthetics, environmental aesthetics, ecological aesthetics and somaesthetics. He is the Director of a project on "Environmental Aesthetics and the Reformation of Aesthetics” (China Ministry of Education core grant for humanities and social sciences, 2011- 2014).
1. Cheng Xiangzhan, “Urban Image and Urban Aesthetics: Urban Aesthetics in Cross-Cultural Perspective,” The Journal of Faculty of Letters, No. 2, 2008.
2. Cheng Xiangzhan, “Ecoaesthetics and ecocriticism,” ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment, 2010 17: 785-789.
3. Cheng Xiangzhan, “Environmental Aesthetics and Ecological Aesthetics: Arnold Berleant’s Impact on Ecological Aesthetics in China,” Sztuka i Filozofia, Fall, 2010.
4. Wang, X. and Cheng, X. (2011) ‘Contribution of ecological aesthetics to urban planning’, Int. J. Society Systems Science, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp.203–216.
1. A Study of Environmental Aesthetics in China (Zhengzhou: Henan People's Press, 2009)
2.) A Collection of Interviews with Harvard Professors (Beijing: The Commercial Press, 2011)
3.) Collected Papers on the Aesthetics of Fecundity of Life: From Artistic Aesthetics to Ecoaesthetics (Renmin Press, 2012)
4.) Ecological Aesthetics and Ecological Assessment and Planning (Henan People's Press, 2013)
Professor Cheng translated Richard Shusterman’s book Body Consciousness (Cambridge University Press, 2008) into Chinese with the revised title of Body Consciousness and Somaesthetics (Beijing: The Commercial Press, 2011).