Cheng Xiangzhan is a Professor of Chinese Aesthetics, School of Literature and Journalism, Shandong University, China. He received his Ph.D. in Literature from Shandong University in 1995. His publications include The Aesthetics of Triangle of Literary Heart (文心三角): the Modern Transformation of Ancient Chinese Theory of Literary Heart, The Study of Ancient Chinese Narrative Poetry, A Modern Perspective on the Core Questions in Aesthetics of Literature and Art, and An Anthology of T’ang Poetry. During his stay at the Harvard-Yenching Institute, he worked on a project entitled “the Chinese Conception of Fecundity of Life (sheng-sheng, 生生) in the Axial Age and the Construction of Contemporary Eco-Aesthetics.”
Professor Cheng's current fields of research include the history of Chinese aesthetics, environmental aesthetics, ecological aesthetics and somaesthetics. He is the Director of a project on "Environmental Aesthetics and the Reformation of Aesthetics” (China Ministry of Education core grant for humanities and social sciences, 2011- 2014).
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “Urban Image and Urban Aesthetics: Urban Aesthetics in Cross-Cultural Perspective,” The Journal of Faculty of Letters, No. 2, 2008.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “Ecoaesthetics and Ecocriticism,” ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment, 2010 17: 785-789.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “Environmental Aesthetics and Ecological Aesthetics: Arnold Berleant’s Impact on Ecological Aesthetics in China,” Sztuka i Filozofia, Fall, 2010.
- Wang, X. and Cheng, X. (2011) ‘Contribution of Ecological Aesthetics to Urban Planning’, Int. J. Society Systems Science, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp.203–216.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan “On the Four Keystones of Ecological Aesthetic Appreciation,” in Simon C. Estok and Won-Chung Kim, eds. East Asian Ecocriticisms: A Critical Reader, Macmillan, 2013:213-228.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “Aesthetic Engagement, Ecosophy C, and Ecological Appreciation,” Contemporary Aesthetics 11(2013).
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “Ecosophy and Ecoaesthetics: A Chinese Perspective,” in Hubert Zapf, ed. Handbook of Ecocriticism and Cultural Ecology. Berlin / Boston: de Gruyter, 2016:481-493.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “A Reflection on the Hazy Weather from the Perspective of Ecoaesthetics,” R. Guo (trans.), Critical Theory, 1, 2(2017): 91–108.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “Introduction: Special Issue on Chinese Ecoaesthetics,” Critical Theory, 1, 2(2017): 5–7.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan. “The Archetype of Chinese Aesthetic Activity and a Construction of Everyday Aesthetics,” in Curtis L. Carter, ed., Unsettled Boundaries: Philosophy, Art, Ethics East/West, Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Marquette University Press, 2017, pp.63-76.
- Cheng, Xiangzhan, “Some Critical Reflections on Berleantian Critique of Kantian Aesthetics from the Perspective of Eco-aesthetics,” Espes, vol. 6, issue 2, December 2017.
- Xiangzhan, Cheng. “Creating with Nature: Ecosophy C as an Ecological Rationality for Healing the Earth Community,” in Robert F. Young and Bo Yang (Eds): Ecological Wisdom, Springer, 2019, pp.59-68.