Years of Stay at HYI:
Sep 2007 to Aug 2008
Field of Study:
Chinese Philosophy, Intellectual History and Religion, especially Neo-Confucian and contemporary Confucian studies (11th-20th C.)
Current Research Projects and Interests:
- Classical Confucianism
- Modern Chinese History
- Contemporary China
- Confucian Tradition: Between Religion and Humanism. Enlarged and revised version, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2018, forthcoming.
- Reconstruction of This Culture of Ours: Confucianism and Contemporary World. Enlarged and revised version, Hangzhou: Zhejiang University Press, 2018, forthcoming, 276 p.
- This-worldly Concern of the Wise: The Political and Social Thought of Mou Zongsan (1909-1995). Taipei: Linking Press, 2016, 474 p.
- The Unfolding of the Innate Knowledge of the Goodness: Wang Ji and the Yangming Learning in Mid-Late Ming. Revised and Enlarged Version, Beijing: Sanlian Book Store, Sanlian and Harvard-Yenching Academic Series, 2015, 680 p.
- Revision and New Discovery: Historical Study of Pre-Modern Confucianism from Northern Song till Early Qing Dynasty. Simplified Chinese Version, Beijing: Zhonghua Book Store, 2015, 640 p.
- Reconstruction of This Culture of Ours: Confucianism and Contemporary World. Beijing: Peking University Press, 2013, 199 p.
- Revision and New Discovery: Historical Study of Pre-Modern Confucianism from Northern Song till Early Qing Dynasty. Traditional Chinese Version, Taipei: Asian Culture Press, 2013, 616 p.
Books or Proceedings Chapters
- “Inside the Revival of Confucianism in Mainland China: The Vicissitudesof Confucian Classics in Contemporary China as an Example.” In Philip J. Ivanhoe and Sungmoom Kim edit., Confucianism, A Habit of the Heart: Bellah, Civil Religion, and East Asia. SUNY Press, 2016, chapter 3, pp. 71-84.
- “Spiritual and Bodily Exercise: The Religious Significance.” In David Jones and Jinli He edit., Returning to Zhu Xi: Emerging Patterns within the Supreme Polarity. SUNY press, 2015. Chapter 12, pp.325-342.
- “Hard-hearted” and “Soft-hearted” Ecologies: A Rereading of Confucian and Daoist Classics.” In James Miller, Dan Smyer Yu and Peter van de Veer edit., Religion and Ecological Sustainability in China. Routledge, 2014, pp.71-83.
- “Dialogical Confucianism as a Religious Tradition in a Global Context.” In Philosophical Inquiry between the Global and the Local: Festschrift Dedicated to Professor Liu Shu-hsien, edited by Cheng Chungyi and Lin Yuehui, Taipei: Student Book Company, 2014, pp. 815-831.
- “A Heresy of Neo-Confucianism in Early Qing Dynasty: Peng Dingqiu and His Rumen Fayu.” In Transmission and Development: New Studies in Zhu Xi, edited by Chen Lai and Zhu Hanmin, East China Normal University, 2014, pp. 497-510.
- “Zhou Rudeng and Buddhism: History and Thought.” In Confucianism and Books: Family, Religion and Material Network, edited by Lu Miawfen, Taipei: Institute of Modern History, Academia Sinica, 2013, pp. 47-102.
- “Realizing Heart-mind and Cultivating Vital Energy: The Spiritual and Bodily Exercise in Mencius,” Academic Monthly, Vol. 4, 2018, pp.5-20.
- “Contemporary Chinese Philosophy in the Chinese-Speaking World: An Overview,” Frontiers of Philosophy in China, Vol.1, 2008, pp. 91-119.
- “The Spiritual and Intellectual World Revealed in Jing zhenlu and Its Significance.” Confucius Studies, Vol. 1, 2017, pp.121-132.
- “On Philosophical Translation.” Journal of East China Normal University (Version of Humanities and Social Sciences), Vol. 6, 2016.
- “The Discussion on ‘Five Religions’ and Its Significance in Early Republic of China: A Further Study.” Religion and Philosophy, Vol. 5, 2016, pp. 386-401.
- “Rethinking Metaphysics: A Perspective from Chinese Philosophy.” China’s Social Sciences, No. 11, 2015, pp. 60-75.
- “The Concept of ‘Five Religions’ of Feng Bingnan (1888-1956) and His Practice.” Chinese Culture, No. 39, 2014, pp.84-97.
- “Reconstruction ‘This Culture of Ours’.” People Tribune, No. 3, 2013, pp. 16-20.
- “Confucian One-Body Ecological Vision: Rereading the Inquiry of the Great Learning.” Hebei Xuekan, Vol. 2, 2013, pp. 35-38.