Training Programs Held in Asia
Training Programs Held in Asia
The Advanced Training Programs held in Asia bring together a small group of promising young Asian scholars in particular fields of the humanities and social sciences to attend a 7-10 day-long program held at one of HYI’s partner institutions in Asia.
These programs seek to bring together students and scholars from different disciplines across Asia and beyond to create a new network conducive to collaborative research. As part of the programs, HYI and its co-sponsoring institutions organize a series of lectures by Asia-based scholars as well as scholars from North America and Europe. The programs also often include trainee presentations, discussion sessions, and fieldtrips/site visits. Following the conclusion of each training program, a small number of outstanding trainees may be invited to come to the Institute for a one-year research stay during the next academic year.
Although the eligibility criteria for each program may differ, in general the training programs held in Asia are open to young faculty and graduate students from universities or research institutes anywhere in the world. However, the majority of selected trainees will be from Asian universities and research institutes.
Guidelines for HYI Alumni to Organize a Program
We encourage HYI alumni to apply for the opportunity to run a training program. View the guidelines for submitting your application. The application deadlines are April 15 and October 15.
Past Training Programs in Asia
- July 2019: Contemporary challenges to development in upland regions of Vietnam: Impact on ethnic minority peoples (co-sponsored with Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences, held in Hanoi)
- June 2019: Cultural Study on the Medieval Silk Road: Arabic Materials and Research Methodology (co-sponsored with Nanjing University, held in Nanjing)
- June 2019: Buddhism and Ethnicity in the Period of Sixteen Kingdoms and Northern Dynasties (Co-sponsored with Peking University, held in Beijing)
- July 2018: New Approaches in Asia-Pacific Historical and Contemporary Studies (Co-sponsored with Waseda University, held in Tokyo)
- June 2018: Buddhism and Ethnicity in the Period of Sixteen Kingdoms and Northern Dynasties (Co-sponsored with Peking University, held in Beijing)
- June 2015, June 2016, and June 2017: New Approaches to Chinese Politics (Nanjing, Guangzhou, Shanghai)
- August 2015 and August 2016: Medical Humanities (Co-sponsored with the Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Hong Kong, the Institute of Medical Humanities and Center for History of Medicine at Peking University, and the Key Research Institute of Social History of China at Nankai University, held in Beijing and Tianjin)
- Comparative and World Literature (Beijing (June 2014); Hanoi)
- June-July 2012: Sociological Approaches to Contemporary China (Co-sponsored with Nanjing University and the University of Sydney, held in Nanjing)
- January 2012: Historical Materials and Methods: the New Horizon for Research on 1950s China (Co-sponsored with Fudan University, held in Shanghai)
- January 2012: Civil Society in New Democracies (Co-sponsored with Korea University and the Korean Foundation for Advanced Studies, held in Seoul)
- June 2011: Social Stratification and Mobility in China: Urban Migration and Growth of the Middle Class (Co- sponsored with the China Studies Center, University of Sydney; The Center for Modern China Studies, Nanjing University; and the Department of History, Nanjing University, held in Nanjing)
- June 2010, 2013 and 2014: Urban Studies Training Program (Co-sponsored with East China Normal University; the Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences; and New York University, held in Shanghai and Hong Kong)
- January 2010 and 2011: Popular Culture and Grassroots Movements (Co-sponsored with the Chinese Academy for Social Sciences, held in Beijing)
Photos from Past Training Programs
- View photos from June 2016 program on "From Empirical Research to Theorization: Contributions of the Study of China to Political Science and Political Theory"
- View photos from 2010 HYI-CASS program on "Grassroots Society and Popular Culture"
- View photos from the 2010 and 2013 Urban Studies Training Programs